Baja Holiday Rentals

Tropical Vacation Homes For Rent by Owner

Los Barriles
La Ventana
Hood River

Getting to Baja Sur
Getting to Los Barriles
Getting to Ventana/Sargento
Activities in Mexico
Rates & Availability
Contact Us

Getting to Baja Sur

Our vacation rentals are located approximately 900 miles south of the Mexican/U.S. border. You can fly into one of the two nearby airports of La Paz or San Jose del Cabo or you can drive via the paved Trans peninsular Highway

Getting There By Plane

The closest airports that serve our rentals are in La Paz (LAP) and San Jose del Cabo (SJD). Los Barriles is located about 1 hour north of the San Jose del Cabo airport and 2 hours southeast of the La Paz airport. La Ventana/EL Sargento is located about 45 minutes east of the La Paz airport and 3 hours north of the San Jose del Cabo airport. San Jose del Cabo offers more direct, flexible and usually cheaper flights and is better choice if you are going to Los Barriles. La Paz is much closer to La Ventana/El Sargento, so if you are going to this area and can get a flight, La Paz is a good choice.

Please try to arrive at the airport in time to drive to your destination before dark. 

  ALASKA and a few Mexican airlines fly from the United States into La Paz, the capital of Baja California Sur (South) . For driving directions from the La Paz airport, see Getting to Ventana/Sargento .

FLYING INTO SAN JOSE DEL CABO AIRPORT - CONTINENTAL, UNITED, ALASKA, AMERICAN and AEROMEXICO are just a few of the airlines that serve San Jose Del Cabo. See Getting to Los Barriles for driving directions from the San Jose del Cabo airport.

Car rentals are available from Hertz, Avis, Budget, Alamo, etc. You can negotiate directly with an agent at the airport or you can have an agent reserve a car for you from the states. During peak travel times it may be a good idea to reserve your car in advance.

We don't recommend you take a taxi - a rental car is more convenient for you once you arrive.  If you do take a taxi AGREE UPON A PRICE BEFORE YOU GET IN THE TAXI.  The drive to Los Barriles is approximately 1 hour and could cost over $100 USD.  The drive to La Ventana/El Sargento is approximately 3 hours. Prices over the past few years have averaged $220 for up to 3 passengers and $300 for 4-10 passengers or more. Be sure to tell your driver you are going to La Ventana near Los Planes. There is another city with a similar name near San Jose del Cabo that is not the correct destination.  Having a copy of the Baja map and using it to discuss destinations is a good idea.

Getting There By Car

Driving through Baja can be fun and exciting. Baja is a rugged and beautiful peninsula. There are many interesting stops along the Baja route including colonial missions, ancient cave paintings and spectacular vistas and bays. A Baja travel/guide book is a must if you want to really enjoy the trip. I will list three of my favorite books. These books will provide details on getting ready for the trip, what to bring, immigration and customs, where to stay and eat, and what to see and do on your trip down the Baja peninsula.

Best Places Baja - published 2003- best of the latest books
Edited By: Lori Makabe
Sasquatch Books
ISBN: 1-57061-359-1

The Magnificent Peninsula - published 1996 - older, but still one of the best
By: Jack Williams
Published by: H.J. Williams Publications
ISBN: 0-9616843-7-2

Baja Handbook - published 1998
By: Joe Cummings Moon Travel Handbooks
ISBN: 1-56691-120-6


The directions are fairly simple. Get on the Trans peninsular Highway (Highway 1) and go south. You will drive approximately 920 miles to one of our locations. This highway is paved and the Mexican government has established a patrol along the route of bilingual mechanics in case tourists need assistance. The Angeles Verdes (green angels) travel in green and white trucks. Their service is free but parts, gasoline and oil are at a cost. You are welcome to tip them if you choose.  If you are in a hurry you can make the drive to our area in about 20 hours from the US/Mexico Border. This equates to two hard days of driving (don't drive at night). The first day you cross the border early, clear immigration and drive to Guerrero Negro. The second day of driving will get you to Los Barriles/La Ventana/El Sargento by dark. A more relaxed way is to take 3 or more days and enjoy the wonderful Baja Peninsula.The above books provide all the information that you will need.

To drive in Baja you need a valid US or Canadian driver's license or an international driving permit. A car permit is not required in Baja.   A permit is required on mainland Mexico.

All US and Canadian citizens crossing the border for more than 72 hours or going further south than Ensenada must carry valid "tourist cards".  Don't even think about not getting one.  Not worth the hassle if you are caught.  You need a valid Passport to get your tourist card and to get back into the U.S.

Your American insurance is not valid in Mexico and it is recommended that you purchase Mexican auto insurance for your stay. This can be done at the U.S. border or in advance. To purchase insurance in advance you can click here Mexican Auto Insurance.

Highway 1, the Trans peninsular Highway, is paved and typically safe. There may be sections that are under repair, but detours are normally marked well. Be aware that cars and trucks in Mexico use their left direction turn blinker to signal when it is safe for you to pass them as well as to signal when they are turning left.  If a vehicle in the on coming lane has his emergency blinkers on, that is a signal that there is a hazard ahead.

Watch for cows and speed bumps on all roads and drive slowly through towns and cities.  The speed bumps are sometimes marked with a sign saying TOPE or REDUCTOR.  Sometimes they are not marked at all and hard to see.  Drive defensely.

There are police and military roadblocks throughout the peninsula. This is said to control drugs and weapons. The Mexicans will ask if you are carrying drugs or weapons, do a cursory inspection and let you pass. Although we have never had any type of problem with these checkpoints, it is always a good idea to supervise any search, and you may wish to discretely lock the front of your car while they are searching the back.  If there are 2 of you traveling, one should aways stay in the car while the other one shows the inspectors around the vehicle.  This is very important in a motor home.

Gas is normally available at most cities along the route. All commercial gas stations in Mexico are state owned and are called PEMEX.  Some gas stations have been caught charging for more than they pump and making “mistakes” on your change so be aware of the cost, how much you hand the attendant and the change received.  We have made it a policy to get out of the car before they start pumping to make sure the pump is reset to zero.  Sometimes they forget and good luck arguing with them.

Tipping of the attendant who pumps your gas and the boy who washes your windows is customary.

AAA of Southern California publishes the best road map we have found for Baja, which is free for members of AAA.

If you are bringing your pet to Mexico it is advisable to carry an international health certificate, which is obtainable from any veterinarian.


US Consulate (624) 143-3566
Canadian Consulate (624) 142-4333
Immigration (624) 143-4001
Lost or Stolen Cards:
    Master card: 01-8000-021-2345
    Visa: 01-800-112-1111
    American Express: (624)143-5866

Top of Page